Monday, February 16, 2009

Odds & ends

The Q&A session with Mrs. Spit was fun. : ) Those of you who wanted to be interviewed by me, I will try to come up with some questions sometime in the next few days.

The last week or two have been a goldmine for media coverage of infertility issues (thanks -- or maybe no thanks -- to the octuplets & the 60-something Calgary woman who delivered twins). I had a pile of clippings I was thinking I would post links for & blog about, but it was a busy week, & I started to feel overwhelmed & gave up after awhile. Not sure how much more I could add to what's already been said within our community. I just hate all the misinformation & the bad image that "outsiders" may be getting about infertility -- although there has been some surprisingly thorough & thoughtful reporting & commentary in some corners as well.

Today is our Family Day holiday in Ontario (and Alberta and Saskatchewan -- as well as Louis Riel Day in Manitoba, and Presidents Day in the U.S.), again. Last year was the first year Ontario got a February long weekend. (I blogged about it then, here.) This year, being the second, there's much less to-do in the press about the holiday, its meaning & the appropriateness of its name. The name & all it implies still makes me wince -- but hey, it's a long weekend. In February. I'll take it.

Dh & I went yesterday to see "Slumdog Millionaire," which I thought was brilliant, if somewhat hard to watch at times. Anyone else see it? The young actors were very, very good. Makes me realize (once again) just how very, very lucky we who live in North America (and women most especially) truly are.

We have now seen three of the five movies nominated for Best Picture Oscars (the other two being "Milk" & "Frost/Nixon," both also very good). I doubt I will be able to drag dh to see "Benjamin Button," but we still have next weekend to see "The Reader"...! ; )

My parents called me last night as they embarked on a driving trip to points south. They won't be back home again until the end of March. They e-mailed my sister & I a rough itinerary, outlining where they expect to be when, hotel reservations & phone numbers, etc. They did this two years ago as well, & it's kind of a strange feeling not knowing exactly where they are for days on end. I'm thinking this must be kind of what it's like for parents of adult children when they go off to college, lol.

5 comments:

  1. Saw Slumdog as came to the same conclusions you did. We've seen Milk, Frost/Nixon, The Reader and Benjamin Buttons ... still on the list is Revolutionary Road (I read the book 18 months ago before it resurfaced as a mainstream story and it grabbed me for all the obvious reasons). Not so sure I can watch The Wrestler. Just not into that scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm am jealous that you've seen so many of the nominated films. It seems like a good crop to me this year.

    Gonna click on over the Mrs Spit. She always does great questions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I couldn't find your email address but I wanted to write you back from your comment today:

    http://internettrash.com/users/birz/receipe.html#cake3

    I should pay closer attention to the IP addresses of the seekers. Maybe it's a maritime or a prairie thing?

    Thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey buddy! Just wanted to pop on in with some more *interview* questions for you. I, too, was thrilled to have something else to blog about! So here goes:

    1) Describe your perfect vacation. When do you plan to take such trip?
    2) Name one person who really made an impact in your life (besides family members). How so?
    3) What was your favorite birthday and what did you do that made it so special/memorable?
    4) If you had to eat the same meal for dinner every day for one year, what would you choose?
    5) Never mind cost/availability/practicality, if you could give someone in your life "the perfect gift" what would you do and for whom?

    Can't wait to hear your answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post. I enjoy reading the blog. Alice

    ReplyDelete