Sunday, September 3, 2017

Right now

Right now... (an occasional meme, alternating from time to time with "The Current"):

Reading:  Trying to finish up a really interesting book, "The House by the Lake" by Thomas Harding. (It first piqued my curiosity when I saw it in hardcover last year, but I waited to buy it until the paperback came out earlier this summer.)  Review to come in due course. :)  Organizing the schedule & volunteer discussion leaders for my D.E. Stevenson fan group's discussion of our next pick, "Five Windows," which (if everything goes according to plan) begins next week. And wondering whether I'm also going to be able to squeeze in Margaret Atwood's "Alias Grace" before the new television miniseries (adapted by Sarah Polley) begins airing later this month on CBC...!  (It will be shown on Netflix in November.) I guess I could always PVR it and watch at a later date, after I've finished the book??  (Although I already have a backlog on there too...!) 

Watching:  On TV:  I really haven't been watching much TV lately, not even Netflix. Mostly CNN/CBC News Network, and lots of tribute shows to Diana, Princess of Wales, 20 years after her death. Looking forward to the new fall season/return of old favourites!  (Already bored with all the American college football on TV this weekend, lol.) 


At the movies:  Haven't been to many movies this summer either. The last one we went to, a few weeks ago, was "Logan Lucky," a heist movie set in West Virginia with a NASCAR twist, starring Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Riley Keough (Elvis's granddaughter!), and Daniel Craig -- aka James Bond, albeit in a most un-Bondlike role.  He's hilarious!   

Eating:  Not well enough lately, I think. :p  Gallstones continue to give me grief, on & off.  :( We noticed that split pea soup had returned to the menu at the takeout soup counter at the supermarket where we shop & often go for lunch (they have great pizza, sandwiches, & other stuff as well as a wide variety of soups). A sure sign that fall is upon us!  


Drinking: Another sign that fall is upon us:  I see Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back at Starbucks. To be honest, I only ever had one, and I wasn't quite sure what all the fuss was about. I much prefer the Gingerbread Lattes at Christmastime. ;)  I may order another PSL in the next while, just to see if there was something I missed the first time around. ;)  But in general, my usual order (tall nonfat English Breakfast tea latte) is just fine with me. ;)  


Listening:  To the soothing voices on CBC Radio One this afternoon (lol). 

Wearing:  Still in T-shirts/tank tops, capris & sandals (and shorts, around the house) -- but not sure for how much longer...!  :(  There is a definite fall chill in the air...!  


Buying (besides books, lol):  Clothes. Not that I REALLY need many clothes these days (see "Wearing," above...!). I found a simple yet dressy top in a pretty shade of blue (also a coordinating pendant necklace & drop earrings) that I thought would be perfect to wear for Nephew #2's fiancee's bridal shower in January.  Even if I find something else I like better for that occasion between now & then ;)  I am sure I will make use of this one.   


Trying:  A new restaurant that opened here recently, along with SIL.  It was Italian -- which can be a minefield for me, with my tomato allergy :p  -- but everything went well -- food & service were both good. We'll be back!

Wondering:  Whether I should get a pedicure next week or hold out until just before our mini-road trip with BIL & SIL later this month?? (Or both??) 

Remembering: Diana, Princess of Wales, 20 years after her tragic death. I've been watching a lot of the specials on TV & reliving the memories all over again. What a tragedy. :(  And what a credit to her memory her two sons are! The idea that young people don't really know who she was is astonishing to me. Although I guess it shouldn't be... several years ago, my boss got free tickets (I later went back with my visiting mother;  I think they were more than $20 each) for our team to the Diana touring exhibit from the Spencer family's Althorp estate, which included many of her dresses AND her spectacular, iconic wedding dress, with its 20+-foot train (which influenced the style of my own wedding dress, some four years later -- voluminous skirt, long train, big puffy sleeves...). My boss (10 years older than me, and me just six months older than Diana) & I stood & gawked at that dress for a long, long time -- while the younger girls who worked with us breezed by, barely giving it a glance. Ahhh, youth...!!  

Steeling myself:  For the onslaught of back-to-school photos on Tuesday (although I've actually already been seeing them since just after the AUGUST long weekend, from my friends & relatives in the States...!).  I do enjoy them, up to a point -- but dealing with the sheer mass of them can get to be difficult sometimes (depending on my frame of mind). 


Loving: Spending time with the nephews, their partners (wife/fiancee), and (of course) the puppy this past weekend. :)   


Feeling:  A little sad that summer is almost over. :(   (Although I do enjoy the fall, too!)  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the movie recommendation. We haven't been to see one in months, but might get back to it now the relatives have left town.

    I love the top, the shape and the colour are great. I'm always amused at northern hemisphere people planning to wear what I would call a spring/summer top in the middle of their winter! (I know why, it just always seems strange.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite what I'd call a winter top -- it's fairly lightweight -- but I find I can't wear traditional heavy woolen winter sweaters anymore (unless I'm going outside & it's really cold)-- I get too hot. Ah, middle age...!!

      Delete
  2. My Mum used to be a big fan of Diana's. She always came across so warm and caring and did so much charity work. Her sons are a credit to her like you say

    ReplyDelete